PRODUCTION ASSISTANT – JOB DESCRIPTION
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS Friday, June 18, 2021 5:00PM (ET)
The Foster Festival seeks a Production Assistant to support our Production Team for our 2021 summer/fall projects. This position is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a professional theatre company here in St. Catharines. The Production Assistant will work closely with The Foster Festival’s Artistic Producer Emily Oriold, Operations & Marketing Manager Kim Cota and Production Manager Rob Robbins. Preference will be given to residents of Niagara.
- 35 hours/week. There may be some weekend work required as the festival’s production week runs Tuesdays to Sundays.
- This is a 9 week position.
- Dates: August 9 – October 9, 2021
- This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs Program
Your responsibilities may include:
- Work collaboratively with The Foster Festival creative and production teams to accomplish artistic goals and meet deadlines in a cost-effective way.
- Under the supervision of the Operations & Marketing Manager, post content provided by Senior Staff to The Festival’s Social Media channels.
- Under the supervision of the Production Manager, create pre-production checklists and update checklists as required.
- Liaise between the production team and the stage management team to ensure all rehearsal/production needs are being met.
- Attend production and post-production meetings as required.
- Attend load-ins/outs, tech week rehearsals, and other performances as needed.
- Assist in the transport of production equipment and materials as needed for both point-of-origin productions and pop-up events.
- Provide support to The Foster Festival administrative team in regards to coordinating scheduling with the production team.
- Liaise with the Production Manager and Stage Manager of each production/pop-up event to ensure all requirements for rehearsal are being met. This may include pulling and gathering of rehearsal properties and costume pieces from the Foster Festival’s inventory and make them available for rehearsal purposes.
- Assist with the coordination of the transfer of production sets from the shop to the performance space.
- Attend onsite visits with the Production Manager (supervisor) as required prior to event dates.
- Assist the Production Manager in acquiring any additional materials/properties for the finishing touches pop-up shows/events.
- Maintain and update inventory of properties, costumes and production equipment throughout the production season.
- Assist Production Manager (supervisor) with the organization of set, properties and costume inventory during the final week of contract. Ensure the Festival’s storage is tidy and organized at the conclusion of our summer programming.
- Other duties as required.
- Some knowledge or experience in stage and/or production management.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Eager to learn and accept direction.
- Ability to do moderate lifting of equipment, set materials, boxes of materials, banners, etc.
- Ability to handle varied levels of multi-tasking and to adapt to rapidly changing environments.
- Willingness to pitch in and work independently.
- Available to work evenings and weekends where necessary.
- Valid Ontario G Drivers’ License is a plus.
- Be a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident; and
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations;
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- The Foster Festival has an extensive COVID-19 Safety Measures Document.
- All staff, production team members and artists must adhere to the safety measures as outlined in this document.
All staff, production team members and artists will be given a copy of the document prior to signing an engagement contract with the Festival.
- Please note if you have a driver’s license, First Aid/CPR Training.
- Please submit CV/resume along with your interest and availability for the dates above to Artistic Producer Emily Oriold at email@example.com.
- Please include your name + Production Assistant in the subject line.
Ethno-cultural mandate or ethno-cultural hiring statement: The Foster Festival encourages submissions from diverse artists of all backgrounds regardless of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.