SOUND DESIGNER/OPERATOR – JOB DESCRIPTION
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS Friday, April 7, 2023 5:00PM (ET)
The position of Sound Designer & Operator at The Foster Festival is a seasonal contract position. This position is primarily focused on the productions of Outlaw and Jenny’s House of Joy by Norm Foster. This position reports to the Production Manager primarily and works closely with the Stage Manager.
Candidates must be available for the full time period to be considered.
- 35 hours/week
- Evening and weekend work will be required during production
- This is a 10-12 week position
- Dates: May 29 – August 20, 2023
- This position is pending funding by the Canada Summer Jobs Program
The successful candidate will:
- Work with the creative team to create a sound design for the show and build all the cues.
- Assist with obtaining the needed sound equipment and files.
- Create a set up/strike plan for sound.
- Operate all sound equipment at each performance under the guidance of the Stage Manager and supervising Technician.
- Manage the safe storing, maintenance and preparation of all sound equipment.
- Assist with the poor weather plan to protect all sound equipment.
- Other duties as required.
- Strong knowledge of sound equipment and operation, familiarity with basic sound design.
- Creative thinking to adapt to a unique theatre set up (site-specific).
- Have a strong sense of organization and thrive in a supportive team environment.
- Be able to follow through on assigned duties with a strong sense of self-direction and discretion.
- Be punctual and reliable with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to meet deadlines and has an understanding of the importance of production deadlines.
- Ability to handle varied levels of multi-tasking and to adapt to rapidly changing environments.
- Physical ability to lift 50lbs will be considered an asset as you will be required to help with the set up and strike of all equipment each show.
- Valid Ontario G Drivers’ License is a plus. Reliable transportation to and from work is required.
- Be a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident; and
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations;
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- Please note if you have a driver’s license, First Aid/CPR Training.
- Please submit CV/resume along with your interest and availability for the dates above to Artistic Producer Emily Oriold at [email protected].
- Please include your name + Sound Designer/Operator in the subject line.
- Please note that only the candidates selected for interviews or further questions will be contacted.
Ethno-cultural mandate or ethno-cultural hiring statement: The Foster Festival encourages submissions from diverse artists of all backgrounds regardless of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. It is important to The Foster Festival that we continue our efforts and dedication to welcome representation from a wide range of backgrounds and are making new commitments to diversify personnel throughout the entire organization. The Foster Festival is committed to creating an inviting workspace which promotes a sustainable career in the arts for BIPOC and marginalized arts workers in our administrative offices, our design team, and our backstage/technical positions.